Tuesday, October 26, 2010

And another...

We've been productive up here in Monterey...  just yesterday I posted the stipple assignment and now I have my completed coquille all ready for you... 

Pinyon pine cone - black prismacolor on coquille (click to enlarge)

Coquille board/paper is also known as "stipple paper," because its coarse texture is supposed to mimic the appearance of stipples when the artwork is reduced.  When drawing on coquille paper, it's important to work somewhere around 2x as large as you intend for the final artwork to appear -- to allow for a significant reduction in reproduction of the work.

Part of the appeal of coquille (over stipple) is that is saves time,  I easily spent less than half the time on this project as I did on the stippled skipper before it.  The original was ~20 inches long... I created 3 different reductions: 50%, 75% and 30%.  I liked the 50% reduction the best (I've tried to recreate that here).  

Anyway, had a lot of fun with this one... my favorite view is the very last one (top down, on the right) cause it looks like a flower.  :)

1 comments:

Lindsay said...

I like that third one too, it does look like a flower! I have such a talented sister! <3

Post a Comment