Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fun Quote

I am being introduced to so many new methods and materials in my classes, and none have proven more challenging (so far) than the seemingly simple (and common) pen.  There is such beauty and elegance to the "simplicity" of pen and ink work, but it requires such a different approach than any other "workable" medium (i.e. graphite, charcoal, even watercolor and colored pencil).

To aid my learning process I picked up a highly recommended text on pen & ink:


Which leads me to the reason for this post....

While reading through the first few chapters I came across a quote I particularly loved and wanted to share.

"Pen drawings, in their simple black against white, have a crispness and directness that are appealing; they are full of life and light.  Many of them are only suggestive, leaving much to the imagination, and we take pleasure in this.  A few lines here, and a few touches there, and sometimes that is all; yet there is power to this suggestion which often makes photographs, telling everything, seem stupid by comparison."

(This is not intended to put photography down, only to contrast that wonderful suggestive quality found in simple pen and ink work.)




Speaking of pen and ink work, perhaps I should be doing some.

0 comments:

Post a Comment