Monday, October 25, 2010

Stippled Skipper

Last week I submitted my final stipple assignment (in case you forgot, "stipple" is a method of shading a drawing using lots and lots of little dots, in this case, done with a .35mm technical pen).  I choose a Common checkered skipper on a whim... it was the same day we visited the UCSC Farm, and as I was leaving I saw one of these guys land on a flower.  They are pretty small (less than 3cm across) and ever so slightly blue on the furry little body.  Anyway, after leaving the farm a few of my classmates and I went back to the UCSC Natural History collection where I intended to check out a moth I wanted to use for my stipple assignment, but I couldn't get the skipper out of my mind so I took a couple of those too and lo and behold... the skipper won out over the moth.

Common checkered skipper
 
Our coquille assignment is due tomorrow and since I don't want to reveal it prior to our class critique, I'll post it after class tomorrow.  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment