Saturday, June 25, 2011

Welcome (to my new, short-term) Home!

Today marks the end of my first week in Denver!  It's been a fairly relaxing week, which I'm thankful for because I got the flu two days before heading out here.  Fortunately the flu is on its way out and I'm ready to start illustrating again!

I went to the Denver Botanic Garden for my first day last Monday.  It was a little tricky, cause it was raining and I have no car here in Denver - my intention is/was to commute by bicycle, but rain makes that a bit difficult.  So one bus ride and a bit of walking later I arrived at the Garden for the very first time.  It is a beautiful place, in a gorgeous neighborhood and I can't wait to explore the gardens this coming week (sadly, because I was ill, Monday was my only day at the Garden, and not the best impression because of the weather).

I met the people I'm going to be working for in the horticultural department, as well as tons of other people whose names I'll never remember, but I really like the people I'll be working with and hope to introduce you to them here sometime.  But I'll share more about my project later...

Right now I wanted to show you where I'm staying and how I'm getting around.

So here's my house...

It's a bit obstructed by trees (they really should cut those down).  ;)
But it's not much to look at anyway.  If you'll notice the for sale sign, it turns out the place is being sold in September, right after I leave...  I share the house with two other women, both recent graduates of the University of Denver.  One a little older than me and one a little younger, but both very sweet and friendly girls who have lived here for the past two years (both originally from the East coast).

And here's my room...


It's pretty cute!  With a nice, big bed... and enough room to keep my new bike.  Speaking of which...


Ta-Da!  I'm proud to introduce my very first road bike!  I've wanted one for a few years now and somehow rationalized it by getting a bike instead of driving here and back (all under the guise that it would save me money).  Not sure how those numbers worked out in the end, but that's what I'm still telling myself.  And yes, it will definitely be coming back to Long Beach with me.

It rides like a dream, super fast, and super light and now that I've gotten over the sticker shock, we (the bike and I) are settling in quite nicely.  In fact I'm planning on going out for a good long ride today...

Be back soon.  :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment